Thursday, April 25, 2013

Baby Age Blocks for Photo Props

Here's a project I finished just in time for Austin's arrival -- age blocks.  These work great for photo props to document the baby's age.  And since Baby Austin is 1 month old today, I can show off how much he has grown and changed in the first month!



I can not take complete credit for this project.  My mom passed the idea on to me after seeing a present that my sister-in-law received as a shower gift (purchased from BB Blocks).  And I have to thank my dad for doing the cutting, sanding, beveling, and staining.  Complete instructions are located at the end of this blog post.


My Age Blocks Put to Use on Baby Austin:















Instructions for making your own photo blocks:

Supplies:  

  • 4x4 piece of wood that is at least 15 in. long
  • polyeurothane & sanding blocks
  • For the lettering
    • Cricut cutter and cutting mat
    • multiple colors of adhesive-backed vinyl
    • font cartridge (I used Cake Basics).
    • transfer tape

Instructions:

  • Step 1:  Starting with a wooden 4x4, cut the wood into two cubes (actual dimensions are ~3.5 in. x 3.5 in. x 3.5 in).  Then cut a rectangular piece that is 7" long (7 in x 3.5 in. x3.5 in).  Use a beveler or a sander to round the edges, and thoroughly sand all surfaces.
  • Step 2: Apply two or three coats of polyurothane, sanding between each coat.  For best results, follow the application and sanding instructions on the polyurethane label.
  • Step 3: While the polyurethane is drying, cut the letters and numbers out of the vinyl as described below.
    • for the first cube: cut numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6
    • for the second cube: cut numbers 0, 1, 2, 7, 8, and 9
    • for the rectangular cube: cut the following words: days, weeks, months, and years
  • Step 4: Using the transfer tape, apply the words and numbers to the blocks.
  • Step 5: Once the vinyl letters and numbers are in place, add two or three more coats of polyurethane, sanding lightly between coats.  This will protect the vinyl from getting scratched and scuffed.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Big Bro and Little Bro Appliqué Embroidery Shirts for My 2 Boys

Now that Baby Austin is almost a month old, I am starting to get into a normal routine and am starting to have more time for crafting and blogging.  And I am so excited to show off my two boys with today's project -- Big Bro T-shirt and matching Little Bro onesie.



I purchased the embroidery program on Etsy for $2.99 from JoyousEmbroidery and the gingham fabric came from Warehouse Fabrics.  I made big bro 5" x 7" for the toddler shirt and the lil bro 4" x 4" for the baby onesie.

And here's a picture of my two boys showing off their new shirts.  Landon is such a proud big brother and is so happy to introduce Baby Austin to everybody.  (I still need to work on the art of getting a toddler and a baby to both look at the camera at the same time)



Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Trains, Helicopter, Trucks, and Planes Baby Blanket Using Random Rectangle Pattern for New Baby Austin

I am so excited to finally be able to show off my two latest projects.

First -- the most important project -- we welcomed our new baby boy last week.  Austin Ryder was born on March 25 at a healthy 7 lbs 14 oz and 18 3/4 in long.  We are so blessed to have this new addition in our family!

Second -- here is the project I've slowly been working on over the last several weeks that I finished just in time for baby Austin's arrival.



The fabric is all cozy flannel from the Starlight Flannel collection by Blank Quilting.  I actually got the fabric as a Christmas present from my husband.  Didn't he do a great job picking it out!  To make the blanket extra cozy, I used a plush border.  For a personalized touch, I embroidered Austin's name in the upper right hand corner.

I got the random rectangle pattern idea from this blog:  Cluck Cluck Sew Blog 

Here is a view of the entire blanket.  It's finished size is about 43" x 50", which is just about crib sized.


And here is a view that shows the airplanes and helicopter fabric I used on the backing.



I still have enough fabric left to make a crib sheet, bibs, burp clothes, and pillow case.  So I better get working!