Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Welcome to Sew Scrappy Day: A Quilted Handbag

Hello everybody!  Welcome to Sew Scrappy Day -- a blog dedicated to my two passions -- crafting and raising my son.  I recently moved from the Midwest to the New Braunfels, Texas (Near San Antonio).  So I thought this blog would be a great way to keep my friends and family back home updated on what I am up to, as well as an opportunity for me to share and document some of my craft projects.  I do not consider myself an expert, but I am willing to give anything a try.  So I hope you enjoy my posts!

To get this blog started I decided to post this quilted handbag that I just finished.


I had been wanting to make a quilted hand bag for a while so that I could carry my magazines and books on road trips and outings to the beach.  When I saw this fabric at Hobby Lobby by Brother Sister Design Studio, I just couldn't resist.  I actually used a pattern (Simplicity 2551) and it went together quite quickly.  The hardest and most time consuming task was pre-quilting the fabric.  Once that was done, it was just cutting, pinning, and sewing.

I matched the trim on the outer pockets to the lining on the inside of the bag, which is shown below.  I really like that this back features outer pockets on both sides of the bag, as well as four pockets on the interior lining -- leaving plenty of place to store cell phones, pens, my e-reader, camera, etc.


So now that I've made one hand bag, I think it's time to start making a bunch more.

I hope you enjoyed my first post.  Until next time have a Sew Scrappy Day!

4 comments:

  1. Cute bag! I really need to learn how to sew, it's been on wish list of things to learn for a while, but I just haven't had time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute!! I love the inside... more posts please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUPER, SUPER cute!! I LOVE this bag!! I wish I could do that! My mom is so crafty, you would have thought her talent would've been passed down to me. But....nooooo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika. You must have gotten some of your mom's talents -- because your stamped cards are always super cute!

      Delete